Friday, May 08, 2015

Spring Green

View from my office window this morning.  Everything is green and growing!  Our garden ... too wet to work today!
There's light rain falling today, which will add to the 4.2" rainfall we've already received over the past two days.  Our pond was at a very low level until the rain.  It's now full, and will likely be running over after today.  I've been in it, just to check the water temperature.  It was cool, but refreshing, not too cold!

Before the big rains, we planted peas (my favorite) and two rows of bush beans.  The peas are up and looking good.  We're still waiting to see the beans sprout.

Between the thunderstorms and gully washing rains, the sun was hot and the humidity high.  The calves stayed cool in the shed.  We have four heifers and one steer.  I call them Beefy and the girls.  We've had them since they were weaned.  They keep the pasture mowed for us.
Beefy is the big one in the middle. 

 Since school dismissed classes for five consecutive days over the Easter holiday, Zach, Wyatt and I went on a cruise.  We drove to New Orleans, boarded the Serenade of the Seas and cruised to the Bahamas.  We enjoyed perfect weather and had a great time.  I'm posting just a few of the pictures from our trip.
Our first meal on board...lunch at the Windjammer Cafe

Basketball!

Foul???



The line was two blocks long to stand beside this landmark for a picture, so we hopped up on the wall and snapped this, then rode around in our electric car.

Our transportation while in Key West.  Zach drove us all over town.










We left home on Good Friday, boarded the ship on Saturday, and got home the following Saturday night.  The boys would like to have our whole family go on a cruise together next winter.  I'm all for that!

Yesterday, just before the big afternoon thunderstorm, Dennis and I straightened up the light pole that was leaning.  Actually, he'd already dug around it to allow room to straighten it up.  All I did was help pull it in the right direction, and then shovel the dirt back into the hole while he tamped it.  I intended to get a before and after photo, but just as we were finishing up, the rain came.  Heavy rain with lightning.  I didn't try to get a picture of the finished project at the time! I went back to get a picture later.


















Another "project" we'll be working on later is cleaning up the creek crossing.  When ever we get enough rain to cause Sugar Creek to run full or flood, it backs up our little creek.  When the water goes down, it leaves lots of sand and mud sediment, which makes our "Missouri crossing" impassable. Actually, I did drive through it on the four wheeler in four wheel drive, but the tractor and baler won't make it through, nor will my mower. I haven't done any mowing around the back field yet, and won't until the crossing fixed.

 June 9 update: The Missouri crossing is fixed.  Now I can mow the back trails. 


The Sweet Williams have been blooming all over our place.  Of course, they are blooming all over the tri-state area, but I particularly enjoy seeing them here.
As I was going through the back pasture, I noticed holes drilled in a tree.  Who or what does this?  It's not a dead tree, but it might be soon if it keeps getting holes drilled into the trunk!
Well, it's still raining, so I'm going to get ready to run into town and do the shopping and errands that need to be done.  To me, the perfect days are those days in which I never have to pass through our gate!









0 comments: