Saturday, May 09, 2015

Have I Ever Mentioned...

I love where we live!  I'm so thankful for our home.  We moved to this property in September 1981. 
I love living in the heartland.  I enjoy the seasons....sometimes two or three seasons all in the same day.  It's an actual fact that I have, on numerous occasions, ran the air conditioner and the furnace on the same day.  Admittedly, it's not the norm, but it happens.  I enjoy being right in the middle of the United States.  We're far enough away from the rat-race in the big cities, yet an easy drive to just about anywhere between the Rocky Mountains and the Smoky Mountains.
More specifically, I love the location of our home!  We're close enough to town for convenience, yet remotely located enough to not hear the traffic.  This afternoon I took my coffee out to the deck after mowing the yard.  It was so peaceful.  Not quiet, but peaceful.  I heard birds of many kinds.  Closest, and loudest were the wrens nesting in a box on the deck rail.  I heard robins, cardinals, orioles, chickadees, towhees, and tree frogs singing.  At a distance, I could hear red winged blackbirds, a woodpecker pecking, doves cooing, and way off I heard crows cawing. 
Looking around, I saw cows grazing in the pasture, a squirrel flipping it's tail on the gate near the pond, bluebirds, nuthatches, a bumblebee, and a pair of brown thrashers in the honeysuckle bush.  I also saw robins, orioles, cardinals, chickadees, wrens, goldfinches, and many other birds. 
I could smell the freshly mowed grass, and the scent of the sweet little flowers on the cardinal bushes.
What I did NOT hear---highway traffic, barking dogs, wind, thunder, mowers running...I heard none of that!
Yes, it was a most pleasant time sipping my coffee out on the deck today.  I am so thankful for our home!

0 comments: