Sunday, August 12, 2007

Skies Seem to Be Clouding Up This Afternoon!

So, it's unlikely that we'll get to observe the best night of the meteor showers here. It might clear off again, but according to the weather channel, we have a chance of thunderstorms late tonight. We'd planned on watching meteor showers, away from the bat!
Last night, around 1:30 AM, I went out on our east side deck to watch for the meteor showers, and a bat kept swooping right in front of my face. Over and over he just kept flying at me, so close I felt his wings touch my face! Well...that was enough to send me back to bed! I like bats, but this thing just would not leave me alone, so I started thinking: "I wonder if this bat might be rabid" Then I started getting nervous about his swooping at me, so I gave up and went in. We had planned to go farther out tonight, and sit in the back of the truck to watch, but I don't think we'll see anything since the clouds are rolling in.
Not much else has been going on around here worth telling. Dennis raced again last night at Memphis, and won. Bobbie, Mom and I went to the Dutchman Store Thursday and I bought some peaches. They're delicious! I've put a lot of them in the freezer, and still have a few to eat fresh.
Since there's not much to write, and I have no new pictures to put on here, I'm going to put in a list of some "Amazingly Simple Home Remedies". Thanks to Heidi for sharing them with me! I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

Amazingly Simple Home Remedies

1. If you are choking on an ice cube, don't panic. Simply pour a cup of boiling water down your throat and presto, the blockage will be almost instantly removed.

2. Clumsy? Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

3. You can avoid arguments with the Mrs. about lifting the toilet seat just by using the sink.

4. For high blood pressure sufferers: Simply cut yourself and bleed for a few minutes, thus reducing the pressure in your veins. Remember to use an egg timer.

5. A mouse trap placed on top of your alarm clock will prevent you from rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze button.

6. If you have a bad cough, take a large dose of laxatives. Then you will be afraid to cough.

7. Have a bad toothache? Smash your thumb with a hammer and you will forget all about the tooth ache.

8. Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: In life, you only need two tools - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move but should, use the WD-40. If it should not move and does, use the duct tape.

9. Remember: Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

10. Never pass up an opportunity to go to the bathroom.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of BATS! I had one in my house the week before last. That was one of the worst nights of my Life. I had it contained to one room and I watched it for hours from the inside window of the other room flying around and around and around. It landed on the inside of the curtain a time or two and I was able to slide the inside window down just enough to get the can of bug spray and let him have it. He was completely white with the foam of the bug spray. It stunned him really good but of course didn't kill him. Finally I went outside around the other way and watched him fly around the room from outside. When he got close to the door I was watching from....I flung it open and he flew right out. THANK YOU LORD. I knew I would never be able to sleep until that bat was killed or gone. I was really lucky. I got "rid" of him about 11:35 p.m. Hope I never have to go through that again in my life>

Susie Schulte said...

That's too funny! You have quite a lot of adventures with the wildlife around there, for sure!
I really do like bats, but don't want to share the house with them...and I'd prefer that they keep their distance!

Heidikins said...

Wow......you said that her story was funny. Let's see how she reacts to YOU on that comment! I sort of got in trouble when I said I chuckled all day about it the next day!!!!! I was informed that she could have had a heart attack over the deal and her new defib could have gone off. Luckily neither one happened AND the bat got out!!!! LOL