Saturday, March 15, 2014

What A Roller-coaster Week!

Six days ago, we were all pumped up, excited about Dennis getting his new leg!  Since he was getting so close to actually walking again, we started getting our Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS) gear together and started thinking about the first "shoot".  The weather has been spring like, and the time changed making it light later into the evening.  It was all good!
But, in the process of gathering our CAS gear, I discovered that we were 500 rounds short on ammo.  I started looking for it.  We searched the whole house.  Three times.  Travis came down and searched our whole house again.  Still, they were not to be found.  Do you know how frustrating, aggravating, and stressful it is to be unable to locate something you absolutely KNOW you've put somewhere? 
In the midst of the prolonged search, Dennis was able to haul a load of rock.  We were pleased that he was able to get out and actually do something he enjoys in spite of his physical limitations.  The rock was delivered, and he even went to visit a friend on the way home.  Everything was fine, until he got to our mailbox.  He decided that he could get the Bonny Buyer without getting out of the truck.  He was correct.  He did get the Bonny Buyer, but he also hit the mailbox with the door doing serious damage!  I can only imagine how upset he was, since I wasn't here at the time.  I do know that he was sick to his stomach most of the night because of it. 
At the same time we were ransacking the house and racking our brains to think where we might have placed that missing ammo, we got the call from American Prosthetics.  They cancelled Dennis' appointment to get his leg!  It seems that the VA paperwork got stalled in "contracting" and there were no orders.  Without those orders, they would not issue the leg.  Even worse, they won't be able to reschedule it until next week at the earliest even if the paperwork comes through today.  And, Kelvin, our prosthetic pro, is going to be on vacation all next week.  Wow!  What a downer! 
So, with all that, one of my favorite "quotes" comes to mind:

Words can never adequately convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life.  The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it.
I believe the single most significant decision I can make on a day-to-day basis is my choice of attitude.  It is more important than my past, my education, my bankroll, my successes or failures, fame or pain, what other people think of me or say about me, my circumstances, or my position.  Attitude keeps me going or cripples my progress... It alone fuels my fire or assaults my hope.  When my attitude is right, there's no barrier too high, no valley too deep, no dream too extreme, no challenge too great for me.  
               --- Charles R. Swindoll, Strengthening Your Grip
 
I won't say that we've responded well to the frustrations and disappointments of the past week, but we are choosing to believe God loves us, He's in control, and His timing is perfect. 
So, it's still all good!
P.S.  We found the missing ammo!  Yes, it was in the house...exactly where we put it. 
And, the truck is getting fixed....at Lem's Auto Body.
And, Evan called to say that the orders have been sent to American Prosthetics, so we'll have that leg soon!

0 comments: