Sunday, September 23, 2007

Meet Buttons and Snowy!

Yes, I went to the sale yesterday with Zach and Wyatt along, and our first buy was a couple goats! LOL! The boys are so excited to have goats, Wyatt kept saying over and over, "I got a goat!" I thought he was saying "I gotta go", so kept trying to take him to the bathroom, but he finally said it slow enough for me to understand....He's tickled to have a goat! I have a picture of Wyatt with Buttons. They've made themselves quite at home, and their favorite place is right beside the house under the west deck. Snowy is actually Wyatt's goat, but as of yet, Snowy is a little timid and not wanting to be handled as much as Buttons, who seems to enjoy the attention. Snowy is also a young billy, and black as coal. Wyatt chose to call him Snowy, for who knows what reason! Since we'd not really planned on goats, Dennis is spending his Sunday afternoon building a pen that will (we hope) contain them. Last night I put them in the tightest fenced pen we have, and this morning we woke up to find them munching on our bushes in the yard. We actually went to the sale looking to get either a couple cows or some calves. We did buy two very good looking white (I realize they're a particular breed, but I can't spell it!) heifers. So, when we got them home, we put them in the pasture, with Lucky...the horse. Lucky had been a companion and friend to Burger King until he went to the locker, so we figured that would work well, but apparently Lucky has some racial issues or something. She saw those little white heifers, and started running, bucking, kicking and snorting. She chased them all over the pasture. We now have "segregated" pastures for Lucky and the calves, and at this time, the goats are roaming at will.
Next week, we're getting rid of the horse, and maybe getting more goats or calves! LOL! What an adventure.

10 comments:

Heidikins said...

CHAROLAIS is the little white heifers you speak of.

Cha·ro·lais Pronunciation[shar-uh-ley] –noun one of a breed of large white or cream-colored beef cattle, originally of France, often used in crossbreeding.

We have one old Charolais cow - I named her "CHARLA"!! :) And her first calf she had here, I named him "Whitey" LOL

Ummmmm take it from me and perhaps my mother will add to this... DO NOT GET MORE GOATS!!!! You're going to be SORRY for the two you already have purchased!!!!!!!!! BEEN THERE DONE THAT!!! Enjoy them now - because in a few days you're going to regret it!!!!
They're cute though. But talk about a pain in the you know where!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey....good luck on the goats. You'll be wishing you had your horse back if you sell it. Heidi had goats when she was a kid. (thats a pun) Ross' sister bought her a big nanny goat that was sort of pink in color. She was tall and came from Seabold's petting zoo so you can imagine how tame she was. Heidi named her Nancy. Nancy would get in front of the car and I couldn't get past her. She'd try to get inside the house and would run to the door and get her front feet clear inside the door. She was very heavy and hard to push her back outside the door. Oh my...what a pain. Next came little twin white goats that Heidi named Willy and Billy. I remember the Porter kids adding Willy and Billy to their nightly prayers when they were blessing the long list of relatives. Those goats were uncontrollable. One of them got hung in the barn and that was the end of our goats. The rest of them went to the sale barn. All I can say is I will put your name on my long list of relatives that I pray for nightly. You are going to need alot of prayer. GOOD LUCK

Heidikins said...

I have to make a correction. I had Billy & Willy first. (Billy had the long curly horns) THEN Nancy. THEN, Nancy had kids - twins. They too, were the pinkish/red in color. I named them "Jason & Jon". Don't ask why. I was only in 3rd grade!! I think probably because the only other TWIN BOYS I knew were Brother Bill's twins, Jason & Jon! LOL
And yes, poor old Willy hung himself in the barn. I guess he just couldn't live with us any longer. Talk about breaking a kids heart....coming home and her goats were all gone!!!! LOL LOL

I had to re-read your story....and I cracked up a 2nd time. Especially the picture of the goat up on the edge of the retaining wall!

DON'T sell your horse.......please!

Susie Schulte said...

HA! I knew they were charolais, but didn't know how to spell that! I could have looked it up, but figured YOU would know!!! You've become quite a "cattle woman".
BTW-I am planning to be with you at Coralville. And I believe Kathy has sent her rsvp to you as well?
I should have known that you'd have had goats!!! After all, your name makes it almost a requirement!
Dennis (after two attempts) has finally made a pen secure enough to keep them....we think! At least, I put them in it this morning after I got home from school, and when I came back to check, they were still there.
I'll keep everyone informed of the adventures though...as I'm sure there will be many!

Heidikins said...

Yep, Kathy emailed me. I already counted you in anyhow!!! :)

I looked up the spelling also - I didn't realize there was an O in there!!!

Good luck w/ the new pen. don't be surprised if the "lousy critters" don't eat thru that!!! LOL

Thanks for the laughs

Anonymous said...

Just for the record....Heidi's nickname in high school was of course "Goat". I'm not kidding. Glad I didn't have a nickname like that.

Heidikins said...

Ahhhh - thank you so much MOTHER!!!
She could have gone the rest of her life w/o knowing that!!!

OK...here's the deal: In 7th grade I think it was...I was in Mr. Wirsig's speech class. I don't recall what the complete conversation was about but some MORON asks, "well what sound does a goat make?" ok - such a trivial little question that made a dag-gone 6 year lasting impression - I merely went "baa-a-a-a-a-a" (you know, the goat/sheep sound) and that was it. Mr. Wirsig (he could be a real JERK) and Heath Richmond took it upon themselves to start calling me GOAT - and between the 2 of them and my mom, I have never heard the end of it.

OK - there..... you have it. I'm going to get ready for work.
Good bye

Susie Schulte said...

Hahahaha!!! I am going to enjoy that one all day long! In fact, I'm sure I'll have NO trouble getting at least 14 laughs today, which BTW is required minimum for good health. Every time I think of this I'm going to laugh. THANK YOU "Goat" and Becky!
Hey....do you think we'll watch "goatboy" this year at C'ville? Maybe we can make a NEW edition....starring "Goat"!

Heidikins said...

ohhhhh funny..............

you should be glad that you can NOT see the eye rolls you are getting right now - and that goes for both of you OLD GOATS

Anonymous said...

Just thought about you when I was coming home from work. I saw a goat tied in someone's yard. Its Jay Hesse's yard. Pooor goat has alot of work to do. He was white. At least he was tied today...usually he's wondering loose and ocassionally goes across the highway and "mates" with the neighbor's goat. That makes the neighbor really mad. Don't blame him. That is all Have a good day.