Friday, May 18, 2007

Mark Twain Cave, Baseball and Other Stuff

Today, I transported a bus load of second graders, along with their teachers, to Hannibal to tour the Cave. Since Zach is in that class, Kathy and Wyatt also went. I think everyone had a good time. Wyatt was pretty nervous inside the cave, and even more so after the "lights out" demonstration. It's so dark in there you can't see your hand in front of your face. In fact, according to our guide, if you were to remain in that total darkness for six months, your eyes would actually go blind! I've been through the cave several times, but it's always an interesting place. As usual though, you always hear about "billions of years ago...." to explain how the cave came to be there in the first place. I don't know why they can't just leave that part out. Who was here "billions" of years ago, and how do they know there was a great inland sea in the Midwest? Bunch of baloney if you ask me. When we saw the "Alligator", one of the kids asked, "Who made that?" I quickly replied, "God." The kid was satisfied with that answer, and I believe it to be the correct answer. Anyway...overall it was a very nice day. Now I must get ready to go watch Zach's very first baseball game.
I took quite a few pictures while we were at the cave, and so many times when the boys see a camera, they get those goofy grins instead of just looking like their naturally good looking selves. Today, I got an exceptionally good picture of Wyatt. This is what he really looks like MOST of the time, but when you take his picture, he "poses". In this instance, I caught him by surprise! That's quite hard to do, but I did it!
It's time to load up my camera and head to the game.
Dennis and Travis are planting corn this evening. I talked to Dennis earlier and he said they'd quit at dark. This morning when I left, they still had about 140 acres of corn to plant. I hope they got a lot done today!

The ball game was fun. Zach played first base and did a fine job! Naturally, I have pictures!
As usual, I missed the really good shots! I tried to get him running home, but missed, and I didn't get any good pictures of the action at first base. There will be many more opportunities, I'm sure.
Dennis and Travis got another 70 acres of corn planted. I think maybe there are just about that many acres yet to plant for corn, and then they'll start planting soybeans. When the planting is done, Travis and family will be moving into their new house.

0 comments: