Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Simplicity Sounds So Simple...

Simplicity sounds simple, but the simple truth is that simplicity is very complex.  Life seems to get complicated in a hurry.  If you're like me, you have more "to do" things on your list than you will ever finish.  Even if you manage to complete the chores, you just make another list.  There seems to always, always, always be more to do!  As if my "to do" list wasn't enough, I have several weekly commitments to keep, and then there are the appointments to keep, and then there are calls from others to go here or there, do this or that.  I don't have a "job" since retiring, but there are things that must be done regularly, every day that take time and energy.  In addition to all that, many have job requirements of forty (or more) hours each week, further complicating the schedule.

Sometimes it's a juggling act, and I've become a pretty good juggler!  Which reminds me of my friend.  At Heatilator, Connie and I were together most of the time, and while working one night, the conversation somehow went to juggling.  I told Connie that I could juggle, and in fact was quite good at it.  Connie believed that I was talking about the type of juggling that keeps three balls in the air at the same time.  I purposely led her to believe that, but in reality, I was actually talking about juggling through life in general.  Being one who loves a challenge, Connie went home after work, and learned to juggle that day.  Connie's mind-set is "anything you can do, I can do as well" so, when she came back to work the next night, she was able to juggle.  I love that story, and I love Connie, but let me get back to my simple thoughts.

I'm beginning to believe that I was designed for simple life.  I'm thinking that perhaps all of us yearn for the simplicity of the original plan.  I certainly do.  If you recall, God created Adam and Eve and placed them in a beautiful garden where He met them "in the cool of the day".  They walked and talked with God.  God provided for their every need, and it was simply wonderful!  But, that didn't last long!

I've been thinking about the things that complicate life and cause chaos.  I'm also thinking about how I can avoid those complications and return to the original plan.  From the things I've been reading, I've gained a few ideas to foster simplicity in me.

1. I will choose to be committed to a previously agreed rule.
          I commit to our marriage.  I won't consider divorce, or be shopping around for a new man!
          I'll be in church Sunday morning.  No need to decide what to do.  It's already decided.
          I choose not to play internet games.  (that time can be spent pursuing more worthwhile things)
These are not "rules" exactly, but choices I've made that I feel are important to be consistently made.  By maintaining a commitment to these choices, I've taken out the variables and eliminated the need to continually decide what to do each time I'm faced with an option. 

2. Learn to say NO as well as YES.   Sometimes, I take on a job or project just because to say no might make someone think less of me.  When I agree to do something just because I didn't want to say no, it becomes a drudgery.  Saying yes when I should say no creates chaos.  I'm not giving myself permission to say NO to everything.  Sometimes, though, I need to say no.  I should not commit to anything simply because to say no would disappoint another, or cause another to think less of me.  On the same note, when I say YES, it should be a solid, reliable YES.  Both are totally acceptable answers. 

3. Obey God.  This probably should have been #1 on this list.  This is exactly where Adam and Eve lost their perfect life in the garden.  The minute they disobeyed God's instructions, complications began.  They needed clothes.  They didn't want God to see them, so they hid. The Blame Game started and excuses were born. Obedience is most likely the number one way to simplify life, but it's certainly not always easy! 

I've read a book called "A Place Called Simplicity" by Claire Cloninger.  After reading that, I started reading Richard Foster's "Freedom of Simplicity".  Simplicity sounds sweet.  Simplicity sounds so simple, but in reality, simplicity is a complex concept and simply not easily achieved!  I'm on a journey toward simplicity. 

This yearning [for simplicity] can become a belief that becomes an attitude or a mindset that leads to a series of small choices that impel a series of small changes in the way we do things.  And it is these small changes that finally (if diligently clung to) can begin to become a lifestyle.    Claire Cloninger "A Place Called Simplicity" p. 26
           


0 comments: